As promised here are additional choreography exercises to help you create dynamic ministry dances!
1. Spread students out over the room and turn on the music. Encourage them not to think about doing steps, but instead to just move. They may feel uncomfortable at first but as you continue to encourage them, it will get easier.
a. Tell them to move freely as they are lead with the music.
b. Use 2 different songs with different speeds - like fast and slow.
2. Choose a Scripture and have the students dance it through using
a. Specific Movements that demonstrate the words.
b. Do it again and have the group all on different levels and demonstrating/ interpreting the words.
c. Non - specific movements not interpreting the words, but instead demonstrating hoe the words make you feel and move.
3. Give each student a word or phrase to create movement to then put it each person or groups movements together to create a dance.
4. Have all the students pick one of the eight basic loco-motor movement. You may have to assign them one. As the students move across the floor with the different loco-motor movement have them to:
a. Use different arm movements for praise, worship, inviting the Lord
b. Change directions on your command
c. Stop and freeze in a pose then start again.
5. Have students move freely to music using;
a. Different levels - high, medium or low.
b. Space - restricting how much they move and letting them use the whole space.
c. Rhythm - fast or slow.
d. Combination of 2 or more. Using two of the above exercises create a movement phrase.
6. Have students start dancing as;
a. Singles (one person)
b. Duets ( two people)
c. Trio (three people)
d. changing on command (either of the above groupings)
Exploring movement is enjoyable, fun, and can contribute to your creative process. Throughout these exercises remember to pray and allow the Holy Spirit to lead, guide and direct you. When you submit your mind and this process to the Lord, the ONE who is THE CREATOR will give you what you need.